Thursday, January 16, 2014

Is it high time for high times?

I saw some discussion on Facebook last night regarding the legalization of marijuana.  I was reasonably certain that most of my peers considered legalizing pot a no-brainer, but was surprised to see a friend who is normally like-minded speak against it. 

Note that I am no fan of pot on a personal level. I tried it a few times in high school, and absolutely loathed the physical sensations that occurred in my body and brain.  I became paranoid, ate like there was not enough food in the world, and even had full-blown panic attacks.  By the time I left for college, I decided against further experimentation.  My substance of choice is a good craft beer, and even so, I limit myself to no more than 2 or 3 in a week, if that.  I do not like feeling out of control, and I certainly don't enjoy waking up in the morning with a splitting headache.

That said, I cannot support the criminalization of marijuana when, in fact, alcohol abuse takes a greater toll on Americans.  I have never heard of anyone beating their spouse while high; nor do I read about accidents caused by high drivers to the degree that I read about drunk driving.  Most of the people I know who smoke pot use the substance much as I would enjoy a good beer a couple of times a week.  If someone wants to catch a buzz in moderation, I certainly don't consider it my business to object.  I do have a few friends who have been stoners for years, and some of them seem to have blown out their brain cells.  It's sad to me to talk to friends who have essentially lost memories of our good times as young people.  With a couple, I have served as their institutional memory.  However, I have other old friends who have damaged their liver drinking, abused their bodies with overconsumption of unhealthy foods and are now dealing with many health issues, and I know people who have serious impulse control issues when it comes to sex. I know people who are still smoking well into their 40s and 50s.  Shall the government forbid eating at McDonald's?  Promiscuous sex?  Alcohol? I have no interest in living in a Nanny state; nor do I have any interest in watching my tax dollars fund the police time and inprisonment of people who have been caught possessing a single joint.

Legalizing marijuana allows the quality of the substance to be regulated, provides revenue that could be used for substance abuse programs, and saves the taxpayer money on pointless law enforcement. Indeed, many states are already moving in this direction, and, in fact, many have allowed for medical use of marijuana, even if recreational use is still forbidden.  Most of us are aware that pot can ease the pain of cancer, but I also know a few women who swear that a joint or two can relieve pre-menstrual cramps.  I have not known a single person who has declined to use pot merely because it is illegal or have had a difficult time locating a dealer, if they are so motivated.  Yes, there may be young people out there who are afraid to try it for the fear of serving jail time, but I also believe that pot should still be illegal for minors, just as is alcohol.

As cigarette smoking declines, many tobacco farmers are struggling to make a living.  From what I understand, hemp is an easy crop to grow, and is less taxing on the soil than is tobacco.  I know nothing about growing marijuana for smoking purposes, but I have certainly seen my share of plants in peoples' homes.

My one concern about the legalization of marijuana is that I suspect that big business will take control of the industry, and I hope that individuals will be able to grow their own.  I abhor Big Tobacco, and I would certainly hate to see Big Marijuana dominate the industry. 

Some people will make the "slippery slope" argument and ask, "What is next? Legalizing crack? heroin?"  We already have legalized alcohol, and I don't hear anyone begging to make crack legal.  I put marijuana in a much different category than I do hard drugs.  It's really, in my opinion, parallel to wine, beer, or spirits.  I don't know many people who make occasional, recreational use of crack or heroin.  You are either a non-user or an addict.  Marijuana CAN be addictive, just like alcohol or tobacco, but it is not addictive to the same degree as are hard drugs.

The argument about marijuana being a "gateway drug" does not resonate for me either.  If it is, than wouldn't alcohol also be a "gateway drug"? They are both potentially mind-altering substances.  Those who consider pot to be a gateway drug are, in my opinion, confusing correlation with causation.  It is true that many users of hard drugs started with pot, but I would argue that a person who is likely to fall into abuse of hard drugs is also a person who would be likely to use pot, and since pot is usually easier to obtain, it would make sense that their first exploration into drug use would start here.

I suspect that I am preaching to the choir for the vast majority of my friends who may ever stumble upon this blog, but I felt particularly inspired this morning to post about this issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Consistency, people.

Listen up, fellow progressives.  This is important. One thing we do very well is to call out the hypocrisy of the Christian Right.  And b...